Tuesday, August 28, 2007

A Nation of Mediocrity


My favorite magazine is Time. I love the topics, the layout, the coverage, the writers and contributors; they at times lean left and at other times lean right, but usually report on facts. I love that they include a little of everything in their magazine. They talk about unpopular issues and topics and address world, national and political matters that are pertinent and important. In a world full of fake news about immoral and insignificant people, I find solace in actually reading about things that matter (don't worry, I do indulge--I love my Lucky and In Style too!). I feel as a mom and a citizen, it is my duty to be aware of what is going on in the world, and Time helps me do that.
This past week there was a daring article written about the current education system. It was not censored or politically correct--it was, in my opinion, something that needed to be written. To me, it showed why we are now a nation of mediocrity--striving for every child to be the same and in doing so allowing very few to be excellent. I am not advocating taking funding away from special education or challenged children, but if our nation wants to continue to be at the forefront of research, thought, and invention it's time to reevaluate and stop bringing the best down so everyone feels satisfied with being comfortably average. Here is a link to the article: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1653653,00.html

7 comments:

Ashlee said...

Brooke- I LOVE YOU! Can we please be neighbors someday? I have this Time on my nightstand right now, too. Loved the article, love the conversation. You're right- as moms, we are ultimately the ones that need to be having it.

Melanie said...

You make me want to be a subscriber to Time! I'm way too tired now to read the article (it's 2 am in my neck of the woods -- Yikes!) but I'll read it tomorrow. My interest is definitely peaked...

Evelyn said...

Wow- very interesting article! I was not aware of most of those statistics on gifted children- although, working in the schools, I did realize the huge emphasis the law placed on special education and the very limited funds available to gifted. Loved reading this. Thanks Brooke!

Melanie said...

So I've read it now. Definitely interesting. Some parts I agree with, some I don't, but on the whole it raises good questions and valid points. I really have much more to say than that, but I'll keep my long-windedness to myself! Great article! Thanks!

Lyric Payne said...

Thanks for pulling my head out of my sheltered world of kindergarten and decorating. Other than learning that my Idaho senator, Larry Craig, just pled guilty to lewd conduct, I haven't stayed current. I can relate to the gifted children in this article...I was one once!! I'm sure it was because of my being grouped with the masses that I have not accomplished more in my life! I'm sure it can go unsaid that I'm kidding. I definitely agree that the genius level children referred to in this article need a much different education, however, I'm just as concerned, if not more concerned, with the much greater number of gifted children who are not given as many possibilities as they used to, due to the lack of funding. But I am hopeful. I just discovered that the Boise area has several advanced charter middle schools, and many charter high schools that have a focus of study, such as medical, technology, and liberal arts. The end.

Heather said...

you are soo too cute! i wish i were in Utah at the same time as you too! I would have loved to see you and chat!!!! miss you!!

jamieanne said...

Time is a guilty pleasure for me too. Mixed in somewhere with People and Glamour, it's the yin to their yang.
As a product of gifted educational programs, I found this article incredibly interesting. I had to quit the program in HS because the program was relatively new and funding wasn't where it should have been. I loved HS beyond belief, but seriously wish I could have continued my gifted education instead. For some weird reason, it made me not want to try as hard and just kind of coast along. I still performed well, just didn't feel as challenged.
Someone needs to get some serious funding for these kids. In the meantime, it is absolutely up to parents to take an active role in their childrens education.
Though I don't agree with all they say, this was a great, thought-provoking article.