Tuesday, October 20, 2009

We're Old


A few weekends ago Mike and I got free tickets to the Ingrid Michaelson concert (thanks Ash!) We went knowing only one song, but liking it and left loving everything she sings!! She's quirky and just makes me smile. If you haven't heard her, definately check her out.

It was also fun to get out and up to Scottsdale and made me realize how happy I am to be old. I'm married with 3 kids, too old to stand all night in high heels without having sore feet, too old to wear most of what I saw there, too old to talk to my girlfriend when a band is playing and a singer is singing, too old to look ridiculous as I flirt with someone who is not interested in me, too old to push my way through a standing room only crowd just to turn around and realize there is no room, too old to have plans after the concert ends at 10 pm, and too old to care that I can't wait to get home to bed. But, still young enough to enjoy great music, a night out with my super hot hubby, and an ice cream sundae from Sonic. I realized I really love the peace and confidence that comes with being loved by someone and getting comfortable in your own skin.

Here's one lame picture taken with a phone, but we wanted to remember the great night!

10 comments:

Melanie said...

I so agree! I think about it often, how I'm just comfortable missing out on tons of stuff I used to make sure I was a part of, for the sake of fun. Fun to me now has a whole new meaning, and oddly enough it often involves having boogies wiped on me inadvertently as the tiny ones snuggle up.

The Martin Family said...

That picture is not lame. You both look great. Yep, I agree...the older I get the more things make sense. Life is good.

Matt and Jennae Porter said...

Ditto to everything you said. I love being "old" (although honestly we both should be using that term VERY loosely here). However I've never even heard of that person you were talking about... does that mean I'm too "young" or just totally out of the loop?

Danielle said...

We went to a concert last month for a band that we loooved in college. We were totally the oldest people there and it made me realize that I'm grateful to be older and wiser too. I was actually one of those ladies staring down all the immodestly dressed girls. Oh how times have changed!

brittani c. said...

That sounds like the perfect date. I love Ingrid's songs and her voice. You make being old seem so great!

Heather said...

whatever! you are SO not old! you look AMAZING as always! and i want to cry just thinking about standing in heels all night at a concert. I am SOo lame and old, i bring flat darling sparkly sandals with me everywhere i go now, hahah and whip them out when i think i have to be in my heels too long! HA.
glad you had a fun night though! you are awesome!

Lyric Payne said...

I love this post. My sentiments EXACTLY. I have gotten back into the concert mode of my younger years, and I must say that I love going to concerts as an "old" person. I love being comfortable in my own skin. And sorry for the lameness in returning calls. My life is a whirlwind right now, but I will try to call tomorrow. I need a Brooke fix!

The Davis Fam said...

Brooke,
Do you have any friends who do photography as a hobby? A friend from out of town is looking for someone to take their extended fam pic while they are visiting for Christmas break. Have you used anyone lately? I wish Jamie was still around!

Eardley Fam said...

I totally agree! You guys make "old" look really good though!! What a fun night-and boy I am out of the loop and need to check out Ingrid.

Alison Wilde said...

Did I read this correctly--"We're Old?" If you are old, then we are old enough to be your granparents!! Sure love reading your blog and catching up with your fabulous family! Seeing those three little boys brings back treasured memories when ours were that young. So fun to hear how much you are enjoying them!! Lots of love to all of you!