Tuesday, December 04, 2007
Why I'd like to be a man...sometimes
My husband wonders why I have very little sympathy for him when he is sick. This is why: This is my 4 th day of a sinus infection. I didn't know I had one until yesterday, so I went to the doctor today. Last night I finally fell asleep about 1:30. I woke up at 6:15 with my 1 yr. old who is in the middle of an ear infection. I cleaned my house, bathrooms and all since my parents are coming into town tomorrow. I taught my dance class. I waited for a moment when everyone would sleep so I could rest--never happened, because Parker has a ear infection and can't lay down. Went to the park for a couple of hours to let my kids play and enjoy some fresh air and good company. Headed to Target to pick up prescriptions. Made dinner. Put super tired Parker to bed. Husabnd came home for 15 minutes, said hi, left for church meetings. Start cleaning up the kitchen. Parker woke up screaming because his ear hurt right as I was putting baby to sleep. Baby won't go to sleep with all the crying. Try to lay with Parker, but no luck. Put Parker on couch with Dora, put sad baby to bed. Parker decides he's hungry. Make another dinner since he slept through the first one. Finish cleaning again. Fight my kids about not having candy...give in. PA friend comes over to look at Parker's ear. Yep, big ear infection. As she's leaving, baby screams from bedroom. He's thrown up everywhere. I clean up throw up, change sheets, put baby back to bed, get a sugary, wound up Jace and a not so tired Parker to brush teeth, say prayers, and read a book. Kiss them good night. All while Mike is gone...amazing. Now, I have 5 loads of laundry to fold, throw up sheets and clothes to wash and have to try to do it all without leaning over just in case my head pops off from all the sinus pressure. And he wonders why he has a total of ONE day of sympathy. Here's to all you moms out there--this is why it seems like we never get sick; not true, we just don't have time to act sick.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
21 comments:
Brooke,
I read this post and I think we are living the exact same life right now! We have the same thing going on in our household including myself having sinus infection & in the next room lies my sweet husband in bed who is feeling 'achy, cold, and & just yucky'. I just got over 48hrs of throw up, flue, colds etc. Not to mention 2 weeks ago, pink eye & double ear infections!!! As I am sure you know it just keeps passing kid to kid too. All while Jeff is seeking sympathy & I am downing more sinus meds! I feel your pain sweetie, I will add you to my prayers! Good Luck! Just remember you are a GREAT Mom, as wonderful as Mike is he could not do all you do!!
I'm so sorry you're sick! One day is bad enough, but the lengthier the sickness, the worse of everyone in the family is! (At least for me, because I eventually lose steam). Way to go for keeping up with it all! You're amazing!
well said!
I believe this is the most challenging part of motherhood that men don't understand. When Josh doesn't feel well, he stays home from work and lays in bed all day. I haven't done that for three years. Wouldn't it be nice??? There is nothing like good health and you don't appreciate it until it's gone. Hope you start feeling better soon and your kiddos too.
it looks like I have a lot to look forward to. moms are truly amazing.
Brooke, you are a great writer and I love keeping up with your family on your blog. I am hoping someday to get to Phoenix again and get to visit with yo and your. Thanks for all your insight and a great perspective! We love having you in our family!
Amen sista! You didn't mention that you had extra kids to play when I accidentally dropped them off after preschool. Sorry! I hope you get feeling better soon! Maybe you can really relax this weekend in Hawaii - spend some extra time sleeping on the beach!
Cute- I agree moms can't be sick! Sorry you and your kids aren't feeling good-that sounded like an exhausting day!
Get well soon!
I found you blog through Ashley B. What a day you had!!! You are one trooper. Mike better appreciste you a ton!! I would have had a melt down probably. On the postitive side(if there is one) you will get all the sickness out of the way hopefully very fast!
SOOOOOOOOO true! Well said! Your post is awesome!! I feel this way all the time and have no sympathy for my husband either!!
OH my gosh! how awful! i am so sorry that you are sick! i totally totally understand! of course, it is the worst! i hope you feel better soon! you are awesome!
AMEN
You are not alone!
This story gets more painful as it goes on! Hope you have found some relief and get well soon!
Thank you!
You sometimes wonder how you survive days like that and then you remember, "OH, because I am awesome at my job!"
Sorry about the no-resting thing. And I know Mike is a nice husband, so maybe he can stay home in the morning tomorrow and you can sleep in?
Well said! I hope everyone gets better quickly! You are such a great mom!
You poor thing... I am getting you a year's supply of hand sanitizer for christmas! We have to figure out a way to keep these Romney boys healthy! Matt was sick a few night ago... puking... and I swear his world was going to end. And I'm thinking helloooo... i felt like crap for 9 months and didn't get any sympathy from you! =) Call any time you need the boys' ears looked at. You are such an amazing mom... I don't think I could keep my sanity in those situations =)
I am so sorry! We have all had the stomache flu off & on for a week. But when I got it I wasn't able to do all that you continue to do , you truly amaze me! I hope eveyone is better by now.
You posted this blog awhile ago, I'm hoping you receive this little note. You don't know me, but I read your blog and thought I might pass on some information. With ear infections, blow warm air into their ear - like from a blow dryer. I know that it sounds strange but it works. Or if they are big enough, a magic bag - anything warm. It is soothing. It really helps.
Yeah this is why I don't have kids yet-- But it looks like you were feeling much better on your trip!
Post a Comment