Tuesday, October 02, 2007

No Longer Going Postal

I have always loved my neighborhood post office. It is small and quaint, rarely crowded, and usually has smiling faces behind the counter, even when my arms are full of two packages and three boys (4,2, and 1 year). Today was the exception.I must preface this story with the fact that I try to NEVER go to the post office with all my kids. It's rarely a fun experience, but today, I had no choice. I needed to get 2 packages mailed this morning, and had all three of my kids in tow. I walked into a relatively empty office, requested the boxes I needed, bought packaging tape, and went to work. My boys happily played under the table and were out of sight even if a bit noisy. By the time I'd finished packaging the boxes, the line was about 4 deep. When it was my turn, I asked the worker where I shoould put the address, he looked at me and said, "Um, on the box," and asked me to step aside so he could help HIS line. I thought to myself, "He must be having a tough day." As I stepped aside, my two year old started playing with boxes, and the female worker immediately snapped, "Can someone get that boy away from the boxes." Luckily, the customers were nicer than the workers, and helped my son put the boxes back. They got a bit more rowdy and I asked them to stay put and calm down until I was finished. I even bribed them with a piece of gum.When it was finally my turn again, my baby had started fussing in his seat and my 2 year old was singing, admittedly loudly, to him to keep him happy. The same unhelpful male worker snapped, "Can you please be quiet, I'm trying to work here." The kind man helping me smiled apologetically as my eyes filled with frustrated and angry tears; I finished my transaction and walked out, with puffy eyes and concerned looking children. I'm the first to say that my children aren't perfect, are often loud, and sometimes don't obey quickly, especially when they can see my hands are tied, but today, they were just being average kids, singing, smiling and playing kid games. Was it a bit disruptive, yes, for the 10 minutes I was inside it probably was. Was there a better option? No. They were not crying, throwing fits, hurting merchandise, or being rude, just being kids. I feel that if businesses do not want kids in their establishment they need to make it clear. If kids are not welcome at the post office, then they need to stay open later or offer a drive through service. Believe me, we don't go to the post office for a fun afternoon outing. I am a responsible parent who expects good behavior; today I was just doing my best. Sometimes it would be nice if a person would ask what they could do to help you, instead of watch you struggle all by yourself. So, I've decided, I'm no longer going postal--at least not until I can no loger afford UPS.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brooke, i am so sorry...if it makes you feel better i gave up on our local post office about 9 months ago.. and for the record, you have great kids....nearly always!!

Quelly said...

oh Brooke -- if you were in my Post Office I would have helped you - when I see moms with 3 little kids in tow I am impressed with the fact that they are all dressed.

Melanie said...

Brooke! That made me mad for you and I feel a little silly, but I actually teared up too at the part when you said you did! I cannot believe they treated you that way! Gretta loves the P.O. Box section of the post office, which is why I no longer go to the Post Office without a stroller, but with 3 in tow, there's really no choice! I'm just impressed that you are actually using the word "morning" to describe when you made it out of the house with 3 kids. My life is usually more "afternoon" with just one kid!

Lyric Payne said...

I think Mike needs to go down there and "go postal" on them! That story reminded me of my first flight with Max when he was 3 months old. The flight attendants were not helpful at all and the passengers around me were giving dirty looks. I got off the plane and called Steve in tears saying that I was going to rent a car to drive home, full knowing that it would take me 2 days to drive it! I wish I were there to take your kids for you while you ran to the post office.

Danielle said...

OH MY GOSH! That makes me so mad! If I were there I would have totally stuck up for you. I'm usually not mean, but in defense of someone else, it's totally called for. I'm so sorry!

Amanda said...

Brooke, it is Amanda Moser... I found you on Danielle's site and had to comment on your story! My kids tend to be a little crazy at the store and I had a lady come up to me and tell me I needed to find something to entertain my kids with while at the store, so I fully sympathize with your frustration! I was thinking they were just being kids and it was none of her business and almost started crying when the cashier asked how I was! Some people just forget how it is with small kids!

Elise said...

Seriously, I am SO sorry. Kids are kids... what did those postal workers come out of the womb at 18???? I actually have 3 packages to send and have been putting it off again and again; however I giving up on the idea of going alone when my hubby is home between 9 and 5. So, I'll go with my 2 kids and if I get any flak, they better watch out because I'll be standing up for me, you and all the other mom's out there who brave the P.O. alone : )

the north's said...

Ok i totally feel your pain.In fact I even got a little teary reading about your day. I am so sorry! I too was at the post office yesterday with 3 kids attached. I in no way had this type of experience, but mine was by no means pleasant.
Last night on a girls night out we came up with the idea of a drive-up at the post office. I would even pay double for the service and wait in line longer. SO WORTH IT!!!

Kirk and Aly said...

Brooke, as a former USPS employee (I worked at 1-800-ASK-USPS for 12 days) I'm totally offended!! You know that the postal system's #1 goal is delivering the packages, and if some measly little kids interfere with them doing their job, you do what you have to do. Just kidding!! I totally feel your pain, and have left many stores in tears and had people stare at us and shake their heads, and say cranky things. Bring your kids to my house next time! Seriously!!

Courtney said...

That's awful. I hate it when people are mean like that- especially when it's totally uncalled for.

Heather said...

I am tearing up for you! because i understand and oh my gosh i KNOW it is the worst... and i am going to have a third. OH MY GOSH! kynda makes things soo hard for me,. so i totally understand.. and i am sorry the workers there were soo rude.

I mean, you know i would have gotten soo upset, and i NEVER say anything, bUT i would have said, Oh! do you NOT have kids!? or KNOW kids!? sorry i had to bring mine today!!! anyways, i just totally sympathize with you i totally know!

SO SORRY! i feel soo bad for you! SO sorry! i understand. did i say that enough!? LOVE YOU!

(ha i just read your friend buddens.. and I SERIOUSLY teared up too! how funny! )

Jessica said...

Lame! You need to call a supervisor and tell them. I think you make a really good point about if businesses don't want kids, they should have non-kid options!

And my kids are always AWFUL at the post office!

Eardley Fam said...

I am so sorry! I hate taking Austin to the post office-at least your kids didn't pitch a huge fit right in front of the door on the disgusting post office rug!! But seriously people could be alot more helpful and kind with the whole kid situation-especially when they are just being kids and we as moms are doing our best!! If it happens again I am sure you will have a great comeback for the postal worker!

Josh, Kim & Kids said...

I have to tell you what we do because I hate hauling Bentley anywhere. We just stock up on the boxes at our house and then pack them up the night before. Josh helps me enter and pay for them over the internet, print off the label, and put it all on the front porch. The mailman actually gets out of his truck and comes up to the door to pick it up. We have never had a problem this way and it totally saves me from having to take Bentley to one more place. I can't believe how fast people forget what it is like to have kids. A lesson for all of us to learn from as our kids grow older! You should write about this in your newspaper article. That is horrible!

Nicole said...

Oh Brooke, this is so sad!! People can be so rude and heartless sometimes! I am sorry! Stay stron missy & don't go back!!! Stick with UPS or FEDEx. The postal service does NOT deserve your business!!

Find The Time Mama said...

Hey Brooke,

I agree I have had problems wth USP too.

How have you been? I saw your blog off of Nicole Willard's and I had to say hi. Your family is so cute! Are you guys still in the Gardens ward? We are out in Queen Creek. Here is my family blog to check out.

www.nischanfam.blogspot.com

Hope to hear from you soon,

Alisha Nischan

Evelyn said...

There's little that makes me more upset than people looking down on you just because you have children that are not being perfectly quiet and still! They are children, after all. I had a very similar experience happen the other day, and did the same thing- cried! It's really lame when people feel the need to be rude! Sorry that happened to you!

Ilene said...

Saw your story from Jessica's blog...

I remember getting Baby #2's ultrasound and my husband had our son on his lap during it. To keep him happy, Dan let him play with two pennies as he sat there quietly. The ultrasound lady rudely said she couldn't work with all the noise our son was making. If I wasn't depending on that lady to tell me the sex of my child and make correct measurements (and didn't have my pants down), I would have told her exactly where she could put that ultrasound doo-hickey.

I would call and complain to the manager too. Unhappy people need to get out of customer service.